Sunday 3 August 2014

National Breastfeeding Awareness Month

Miranda Kerr
Top Model Gisele Bundchen 
As you all know I am a breastfeeding advocate so all my kids were breastfed. Enzo and Marko were exclusively breastfed until 6 months, and from then on,  they were mixed fed with formula milk. Since they could eat solids already, I figured it would be okay to give them formula milk while still being breastfed. But as I was able to attend several pregnancy talks (due to Urban Essentials either being a sponsor or an exhibitor in the event), I found out that babies have actually no need for any formula milk ever! That is why my youngest, Javi, is still exclusively breastfed even at age 1 and I am not planning to let him have a taste of formula milk. There are still people who argue that feeding formula milk is not harmful to the baby’s health. Formula milk has been fed to babies since before I was born! Even I was given formula milk when I was a baby and I am alive! They actually have a point. What has changed now that led some moms to believe that formula feeding is not good for babies? The answer is education and awareness. When I was a kid, most of the breastfeeding moms that I saw were the ones whom I sat beside in the jeep, moms who are in the streets, moms who had not enough money to buy formula milk. The rich parents before were the ones who fed their babies formula milk. The more expensive the better because paying more could mean providing more nutrition to their baby. These days, everything has reversed.  The breastfeeding moms are the sosyal ones, the ones who could afford to buy formula milk but prefer to breastfeed their babies in style, the celebrities, the bloggers, the famous ones, etc. The mothers who don’t have enough money, they are the ones who work to death to be able to buy formula milk for their babies. What the heck happened? More and more moms are becoming aware and educated of not the just importance of breastfeeding but also of the harmful effects formula feeding can have on their babies. They even pay to attend breastfeeding seminars and lay forums. So you see, this is the reason why the ones who are well-off are usually the ones who are breastfeeding because they are the ones who get the proper education. When I was pregnant with Enzo and Marko, I never attended such seminars because I never entertained the idea that it would be difficult for me to breastfeed. I just researched online so I’d know what to expect. Breastfeeding is the most natural thing in the world. Nakaka conscious lang sa simula because someone is continuously sucking on your breasts! But ones you get the hang of it, dere derecho na lang! I am thankful that I never had any problem with breastfeeding and that all my babies never had a problem with sucking my breasts. But I wish I knew then that I did not need to feed my babies formula milk even after 6 months. Kaya education is really important. Everyone knows that breastfeeding is best feeding. What we need to be more aware of is do babies need formula milk at some point in their lives? Does formula feeding have bad effects on my baby’s health? Is mixed feeding okay? Does formula feeding have an effect on my toddler’s appetite and eating habits? Is milk necessary for my kids’ bone formation?
Olivia Wilde 

I wish I never gave Enzo and Marko formula milk beyond 6 months. They became dependent on their formula milk for quite some time especially Marko. Until now, he does not eat properly. He only wants his milk and he is already turning 4 this September. He stopped eating properly almost 2 years ago. Now, he only eats the following from time to time: Oreo, Jollibee Chickenjoy, cheese pizza, plain noodles from a Chinese restaurant, mamon and dutchmill. That’s why for a few months already, I tried to lessen his milk intake. And he would cry ever so loudly demanding for his milk. Medyo nasanay naman sya ngayon na konting milk na lang ang iniinom in 1 day but he still does not eat. I blame this all to formula milk! I also consulted his pedia immediately after he stopped eating and I was assured that it’s okay for him not to eat as long as he drinks his milk. I believed her for a while, because Makoy really looks healthy. He is even heavier and chubbier than Enzo (who thankfully has a good appetite). Pero hindi ako palagay because he may look healthy on the outside but this diet might cause a health problem in the future.  

So, my point is, education is really the key. Mothers need to be educated on not only the benefits of breastfeeding but also the adverse effects of formula feeding. It’s a good thing that more and more hospitals are encouraging their postpartum patients to exclusively breastfeed and that these hospitals conduct free pregnancy seminars for their patients, which moms and dads need to take advantage of since most of the time it’s free. It also helps that even celebrity moms and models post their photos to show that they are also breastfeeding advocates. It encourages and inspires moms to do the same. It also lets moms know that there is nothing to be ashamed of when you breastfeed in public. It's actually cool when you do! I breastfeed anywhere and I don't even use a cover up! 


Yummy :)

 There are several groups that conduct breastfeeding seminars and promote awareness and  such as the Medela Moms and Breastfeeding Pinays in Facebook. You might want to check them out J

New Manila, QC

7 comments:

  1. Breastmilk is indeed best for babies! I do honor fellow mommies who exclusively breastfeed their children even with their super busy schedules. I also EBF my son for 1 year. It was a good thing that I have a good friend who is really a breastfeeding advocate so we had a private "seminar" with her when I was still pregnant. It prepared us for the challenges that we faced later on. It sure is great to have more seminars for these available to the public! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only breastfed my son for 2 months and if ever I will have another child, I will try my best to breastfeed beyond 6 months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breastfeeding and motherhood came naturally for me too, but it isn't the same for everyone. I have friends who were frustrated at their attempts to breastfeed...and had to attend seminars and be coached in this are.

    I can't do what you do though, I've always used those cute mom cover-ups when I breastfed at the malls, in church or in restos but believe you me, I'm always relieved when I didn't have to do so at home or in our car. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are correct, women should be educated. Happy breastfeeding to you, gorgeous mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. Proper education is really the key. Moms now have easier access to information, which was not the case almost 13 years ago when I gave birth to my eldest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope I could breastfeed exclusively also when I have another baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, I had the trouble with being miseducated about breastfeeding in my first baby because I thought it was an easy task. I hope I will be able to breastfeed on my next baby.:)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts